(Source: Nepal Permaculture Group (NPG) )
Nepal Permaculture Group (NPG) is a national non-government organization (NGO) composed of different members of sustainable agriculture, development and permaculture groups in Nepal. They are also affiliated with the Social Welfare Council (SWC). Founded in 1992, they aim to spread permaculture principles in the country. The organization’s mission is to develop a self-sustaining society through sustainable development practices.
- Holds workshops, press conferences, rallies and publications to further its vision
- Expand members’ knowledge through training and exposure
- Organize seminars and training on Sustainable Agriculture and Permaculture
- Produce English and Nepali Permaculture literature
- Establish a database of Permaculture resources
- Document and interface traditional social systems with Permaculture knowledge
- Research and develop activities on Permaculture and sustainable development
At present these are the successful projects already completed:
- Promoting Sustainable Agriculture in Nepal (PSAN)
In cooperation with Inter-Church Action (Canada), and the United Mission to Nepal (UMN), the NGO spearheaded farmer training and trainer training in various localities around the country. They built 30 learning centers, conducted conferences and workshops on sustainable farming. These centers are now used as model farms.
- Permaculture Promotion in Kaski
Together with the World Vision International Nepal Kaski (WVIN-Kaski), NPG conducted livelihood educational projects in different farming communities, including permaculture design courses and design training.
- Seed for Survival (SFS)
This project aimed to promote genetic diversity in four ethnic communities to improve food production. Educational emphasis was placed on farm agrobiodiversity and conservation through the sharing of skills, local practices and knowledge. As an extension of the program, livelihood training was also added to help the local economy generate employment and micro-enterprise opportunities.
- Food Security, Organic Agriculture (OA) and Local Market Devt. Workshop
An Organic Agriculture workshop promoting technical knowledge for food production and marketing organic products was launched with funding from EED (Germany) and UCN (Netherlands).
- Promoting Organic Agriculture for Food Security in Nepal (POAF)
POAF is still underway in the central region to address food security issues in local food production. Its objective is to promote organic technologies and production methods along with a strong marketing system.
MAIN Program Details
1. Network/Policy Advocacies
NPG is active in policy making related to permaculture and sustainable development.
2. National Permaculture Forums/ General Assemblies
The organizational network is dedicated to establishing a national forum to address food security and climate change on a national level.
The National Permaculture Group offers sustainable agriculture/ permaculture courses nationwide to develop environmental and social consciousness. These include: Basic and Advanced Permaculture design, Training for trainers, Sustainable Agriculture and Organic Agriculture courses.
The organization also works with different certification and inspection bodies to advance its vision. They partner with Organic Certification Nepal (OCN) and the Nepal Organic Inspector’s Association (NORIA) to implement permaculture model projects, farm design and community development work.
NPG Needs You
They offer volunteer opportunities to anyone interested in their causes. Click here for more information.
GPO Box: 8132, Kathmandu, Nepal
Fax: +977-1-4419284 (Attn.)