Today we focus on the projects of Permaculture Specialist Rico Zook. His more than two decades of experience spans permaculture designs to promote enhanced living conditions through the fruitful collaboration of people and nature. He works with communities, large and small, including NGOs to find solutions to restoring and preserving natural ecosystems for better food productions and land restoration. With these partnerships, they implement community building and development through permaculture workshops, and apply permaculture principles in demonstration sites. Click here for his complete bio.
Harmony Farm – Beng Melea, Cambodia
In 2009, Mr. Zook taught a permaculture design class sponsored at Singing Tree Café in Siem Rep in which a local farm/orphanage in Beng Mealea called Harmony Farm participated. After the workshop, the farm implemented many of the permaculture concepts to help improve operations at the farm – through better planting and infrastructure designs.
Harmony Farm is a local Khmer run NGO in Beng Mealea that provides housing, care and education for 18 orphans and participates in local community building. The farm is composed of:
- a children’s centre (orphanage)
- learning centre (where classes/ recreational activities are held for local rural and village kids)
- general garden/farm area for organic food production and permaculture designed infrastructure.
The NGO is funded through donations, grants and fees charged for program participation.
The farm aims for sustainable living not only for itself but for the local community, through nurturing disadvantaged children’s development and using permaculture as a tool for self sufficiency.
Little by little, Harmony farm has achieved its goals with partnerships and volunteers, as well as the cooperation of everybody on the farm. Completed projects include:
- Compost Toilet Construction
- Village House and Classroom Construction
- Village Office Construction
- Pond and Road Construction
- Land Purchase
- Solar Facility for Village Location
- Daily Breakfast Program for Local Village Children
- Chicken Yard with Chicks
- House for Children and Staff at Harmony Farm (Budget: $21,900)
- School for Children at Harmony Farm
- Environment and Conservation Program
- Biodigester and Pig Yard
Harmony Farm Needs You
The farm is always open to volunteers, donations and grants.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Farm Director: Vannak: (855) 11 805 665